Aquaponics is aquaculture (raising fish) combined with hydroponics (growing produce without soil). Basically fish waste fertilizes the plants, and in turn the plants clean the water for the fish. Aquaponics is a completely closed bio-sphere where the fish and plants live in harmony, supporting each other.
Aquaponics was originally used in ancient cultures. The techniques are seeing a popular resurgence in response to the search for sustainable food production. Aquaponics uses very little water compared to traditional farming and requires no soil. This ensures that our plants are only getting precious nutrients without any contaminants.
What makes Aquaponics even more amazing is because it can provide an excellent opportunity to grow local, organic produce & fish YEAR-ROUND in the state of Florida!
How Does It Work?
The Benefits of Using Aquaponics Produce:
We are often asked, “Why would we want to buy aquaponic produce? And why would it be healthier than other store-bought organic produce?”
- Our fertilizer is from cold blooded fish which do not carry the E. coli or Salmonella, unlike fertilizers derived from warm blooded animals, such as manure.
- Fish have no growth hormones, no mercury, no antibiotics, No P.C.B.s. What are PCBS?
- Our plants have no antibiotics or pesticides.
- It has more nutrients than non-local produce because it is not shipped from other parts of the country and stored on trucks for extended periods of time. Produce loses its nutrients over time from harvest to consumption. The longer your produce sits after harvest, the less likely your produce has all the nutrients it once had.
- Our produce is harvested and delivered within the same day.
Looking At The Facts…
- Our aquaponic system can grow between five to ten times more per square foot than traditional farming. We make great use of our farm and we hope to share our knowledge of outdoor and even indoor grow systems to all our friends & guests.
- Aquaponics uses 90% less water than traditional farming.
- Because aquaponics recycles the water in the system, we can grow our produce in droughts and areas with little water.
- There’s no weeding! 100% of what we grow is intentional.
- Due to the naturally fortified water from the fish, our produce grows twice as fast!
- Our aquaponics farm does NOT require farmland with fertile soil, or even land with soil; aquaponics can be done just as successfully on sand, gravel, or rocky surfaces, which could never be used as conventional farmland.
- There is no need for pesticides or herbicides in our controlled environment. In fact, we cannot use any of it because it would kill our fish!
- Providing you with healthy, organic, non GMO food is our mission.
We are pretty excited about what we do! We hope you give us a try and let us know what you think. We would love to hear from you.