Isn’t Farmed Fish Bad?
There are three main concerns to farming fish:
- The fish are living in too high of densities which causes disease.
This may be true with some fish farms but at Ready FL Farm, we focus on a low to medium size density. The more room our fish have, the happier and healthier they are.
- The fish are swimming in their own waste which causes disease.
At Ready FL Farm, we use aquaponics to remove the fish waste by creating a miniature Eco-system. The plants filter the water to provide fresh, clean, and oxygenated water back to the fish who in return provide the nutrients needed to grow strong, healthy, and tasty produce. Some of the plants we grow are also a source of food for our fish too!
- Farmed fish often are fed food that is made with fish meal (wild fish), soy, corn & GMOs.
You are what you eat! We understand the importance of eating healthy and therefor we focus on feeding our fish a healthy well-rounded meal. We offer fresh produce (i.e. duckweed, algae, etc.) in addition to our GMO-Free premium quality pellets specifically formulated to provide our fish with all the nutrients they need without all the junky fillers.
Why Responsible Tilapia Farming Is Good?
- Tilapia naturally live in warm water environments.
- Tilapia are naturally more disease resistant than other fish.
- Tilapia are vegetarians, so the buildup of mercury is not a concern.
- The plants in our aquaponics system naturally purify the water, just like in nature.
- Our Tilapia are fed healthy, organic food that is soy free, corn free, fish meal free, GMO free.
Trout and salmon do not share the characteristics of Tilapia- they are not meant to live in the warmer waters that we have here in Florida.
We make sure to not “over-stock” our tanks with too many fish. We give our fish plenty of room to swim and live an enjoyable life. We have committed ourselves to only raising our fish in the best environment that is healthy and humane.
Learn more about tilapia – Coming Soon!